Named in 1914 for Lt. Gen. Arthur MacArthur, father of the famous WWII general of the same name, Fort MacArthur was originally established in 1888 as the primary defense location for the Los Angeles harbor. Fort Macarthur was home to several generations of gun emplacements and served as the control center for southern California's Nike missile system during the Cold War period. Only part of the original Fort property is currently used as an Air Force housing and administration facility; the rest (shown here) has become a museum and storage area. At first page Next page
Return to Photo Gallery Index

Hit Counter